11 Feb Why Do These Laws Even Exist?
When people think about laws, they often think about things like follow the speed limit, don’t attack people, don’t trespass on other people’s property, and things of that nature. They think about how laws often make sense and exist for a reason. However, not every law is sensible. There are plenty of dumb, strange, and even bizarre laws out there.
Weird laws can be found in every country in the world, and every state in the US. California is no exception. There are plenty of laws that exist here, either at the state or city level, that leave many people scratching their heads. Why would these laws even exist, and would anyone actually get into trouble for breaking them?
California’s Odd Laws
There are plenty of laws here in California that leave people confused as to why it was even written down in the first place. Some examples of the strangest laws in the state include:
- Women may not drive in housecoats (lightweight robes) anywhere in California. This law feels like it is from an older era where lawmakers felt they needed to protect the decency of women by controlling the clothes they wore.
- In California, autonomous vehicles are prohibited from driving over 60 mph.This one likely came around when self-driving cars started popping up. The question is, who would they give the ticket to if an automated car was caught speeding?
- In San Diego, anyone can be fined up to $250 for leaving their Christmas lights up past February 2nd. Some people don’t like to take down their Christmas decorations, and other people really hate it when those people leave their decorations up all year long, for some reason.
- In Hermosa Beach, it is illegal to pour salt on a highway.Luckily snow isn’t very common there, otherwise this could be a real problem. As is, you can’t help but wonder why salt on the highway would be such a big deal.
- In Long Beach, it is illegal to put anything other than a car in a garage.The garage was built for one thing and one thing only!
- Peacocks have the legal right of way in Arcadia.Some lawmaker must’ve really liked peacocks. They are beautiful after all.
- Flying a kite higher than 10 feet off the ground is illegal in Walnut.Okay little Timmy, have fun sending your kite a whopping ten feet above the ground, just out of reach of the adults. What did kites ever do to the city of Walnut?
- It is illegal to drive in reverse in Glendale.There is no going back here, only forwards! It’s a great moto for life, but not very practical when driving.
- Women are forbidden from wearing high heels in Carmel.Another instance of lawmakers “protecting” women. Luckily, times have changed and no one in their right mind would try to enforce this.
- In Fresno, it is illegal to bother lizards in the park.Which lizard complained first? Was it the shifty eyed looking one? It probably was.
- It is against the law to have more than 2 cats or dogs in San Jose.Someone wasn’t really an animal person when they created this law.
- Anyone classified as ugly is not allowed to walk down a street in San Francisco.Now that is just plain rude.
- In Eureka, it is illegal for men with mustaches to kiss women. Someonehere really hated mustaches and the thought of having to kiss one.
- It is illegal for animals to mate within 1,500 feet of any school, saloon, or place of worship.Did anyone remember to tell that pair of frisky squirrels about this one? No. Great, now someone is going to have to have a talk with the kids about “wrestling.”
- In Blythe it is illegal to wear cowboy boots unless the person owns 2 or more cows. They just wanted a person to be honest with the clothes they wear.
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. We don’t really know how the state government thought they would be able to manage this one.
No Tickets for These “Crimes”
This is just a small sample of the weird laws that exist here within the Golden State of California. There are plenty more, and that is just in one state. There are plenty of other odd and strange laws found throughout the United States. Luckily, with many of these laws, they have been forgotten or are just ignored. Most people wouldn’t take any of these seriously, not even law enforcement officers. A person doesn’t really have to worry about getting a ticket for breaking any of these laws any time soon.
What’s your favorite weird law? Do you know of any others, from California or another state that you would like to share? If so, post it in the comments down below and let the hilarity ensue.